Tuesday, May 5, 2009

A Greater Generation

When Tom Brokaw’s book, The Greatest Generation, was released in 2004 it gave voice to a rising sentiment that America’s greatest moments were in it’s past. That the greatest victories have already been won, that the greatest sacrifices have already been made and that the many of the greatest heroes have already died. From that time to this, the cry has only amplified. The prevalent message seems to be that only in some generation in the distant past were there genuine heroes that were willing to stand against tanks and tyranny. The comparisons have been made and many have lamented the loss of a generation of young people who were willing to lay down the comforts and convenience of life in order to pursue a greater good.

While I have a great amount of respect for that generation and the very real sacrifices that they made to preserve our freedoms, I’m not sure I agree with the message that this wave of nostalgia sends to the current generation. It seems that we, as a nation, have already written off the young people of this and future generations. It seems as if we are declaring to them that they will never equal the dedication, sacrifice and victories of that past generation. Even more tragic, it feels as if many in the church have adopted this same sentiment. I don’t believe we could be any further from the truth.

When I survey the young people of this current generation I see a group of young people that are looking for a challenge to which to rise. I see a group of young people that are willing to make sacrifices and hungry for a cause to believe in. I don’t believe for a moment that the age of heroes is limited to the past. I believe that our greatest heroes have yet to take the stage. I believe that our greatest heroes have yet to distinguish themselves in battle. I still believe that the best is yet to come!

I am, relatively speaking, a young man. However, when I look at the generation that is coming up behind me I see a tremendous group of capable young men and women who have a genuine burden to reach their world with the gospel. I understand that, by and large, they haven’t gained the wisdom of experience and the vibrant energy of their youth hasn’t yet been tempered by the cold hard realities of life. However, I believe that their desire is genuine and that their faith is real. I believe, with all that is in me, that they are about to distinguish themselves, like no other generation, on the spiritual battlefield of life.

The word is on their side in this matter. My bible tells me that the latter rain is going to be greater than the former. Faith tells me that the end of this thing will far outshine the beginning. We are not a part of a lineage of heroes that diminishes with time. Rather, the lineage of the faithful grows stronger and more powerful with the passing of time. With every generation this message is amplified and apostolic authority is multiplied.

Perilous times are upon us. All that can be shaken will. Even the elect, if they aren’t careful, will fall away in these last days. The darkness of night has made itself prevalent even on the brightest of our days. But, in the midst of an immoral, godless, and humanistic generation there echoes a promise from the word of God that “where sin increased, grace abounded all the more.” (Romans 5:20 ESV) I believe that there are genuine heroes of the faith in the upcoming generations that are about to arise and confront the spirits of this end time. I believe that there are anointed young men and young women of God that are about to experience the greatest revival that has ever occurred. I believe that our apostolic heritage is in good hands!

I simply want to extend myself this morning and express my faith in the Godly young people that are taking up the mantle of apostolic authority in their generation. I understand that they are young; I understand that they will make mistakes; and I understand that they will have their struggles. However, I believe that, just as a past generation found their courage on the distant battlefields of history and distinguished themselves with honor and sacrifice, heroes are about to emerge from this generation as well.

This morning I applaud you. To all of the young men, to all of those that are yet unproven, I applaud your faith and zeal for the things of God and I challenge you to take this message of hope to a lost world and make your mark on your generation. I truly believe that you are the generation upon whom the ends of the world have come. And I believe that you are uniquely anointed to meet that challenge and overcome it by the blood of the lamb and the word of your testimony.

This morning I applaud a greater generation… Let the heroes arise!

No comments:

Post a Comment