Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Doing the best that I can do...

This evening as I have sought to clear my mind and prepare a thought from the word of God for a mid-week service I have found myself contemplating a verse of scripture that I have read many times and even preached from on several different occasions. However, as the word of God is prone to do, this familiar passage is communicating to my heart in a new and refreshing manner tonight. I seriously doubt that there is any student of the word of God, on any level, that has not at least considered the poetically beautiful way that Solomon addresses the cycle of life in the third chapter of Ecclesiastes. With an insight that is hauntingly familiar to every heart, the writer shares a list of opposites that illustrate the truth that there is a time for every activity under heaven.

Anyone who reads that striking poem is quickly provoked to consider the rapid succession of this fragile thing we call life. It is, at the same time, bitter and sweet. It contains, sometimes in the same moments, both hope and despair. Life is made up of both glorious sunrises and long dark nights. It is all contained within Solomon’s brief poem: a time to be born and a time to die; a time to plant and a time to harvest; a time to kill and a time to heal. The list goes on and on: weeping and laughing; mourning and dancing; finding and losing; loving and hating. There is an intrinsic beauty to the whole of the passage, yet there is a stirring sense of the profound that echoes through it.

This is the fabric of the life that we live. Everything has a season and a time, everything happens according to God’s grand design. Life has both pleasures and disappointments, both triumphs and defeats and they happen to each of us with the simple passage of time. No single moment is eternal no matter how pleasant or horrific it may be, with the passing of every second we march steadily forward to a different season and a different time. Through the course of a life one experiences the myriad of extremes: love that sustains us; betrayals that debilitate us; triumphs that validate us and tragedies that overwhelm us. Through it all we are left to wonder at the meaning of our lives. Questions haunt our souls and fuel our doubts and fears. Who hasn’t raised their face to heaven and mouthed the futile words: Why me? Why here? Why now?

The poet makes a comforting statement in verse 11 when he says that God “has made everything beautiful in its time.” But he also acknowledges that it is beyond the scope of our understanding to grasp the plan and purpose of God in our lives. God makes everything beautiful but he doesn’t always reveal to us the mystery of the beauty in our lives. God works everything together for good, but all too often the scope of God’s good is obscured by the harshness of our present reality. We know, in our hearts, that He makes all things beautiful. We know, by our faith, that he gives beauty for ashes and joy for mourning but the reality of this present life sometimes seems to overpower that simple assurance.

Perhaps this is why the writer comes to the conclusion in verse twelve that there is nothing better than to be joyful and to do good as long as we live. The phrase “nothing better” is an understatement of sorts. The intended sense of the verse is that “the best thing” that we can do is to determine in our hearts to be joyful and do good, no matter what this life brings us. The best that we can do is to resolve, regardless of the season and the time of our lives, that God is good and He makes all things beautiful. I don’t always understand it, it won’t always make sense, some mysteries I’m never going to solve but the best that I can do in this life is to make up my mind to be joyful in all things. I have discovered, in the course of the sorrows and challenges of my brief life, that there is, indeed, a joy that is unspeakable and full of glory. There is, in the presence of God, a joyfulness that surpasses all the trials and tragedies of my life. Perhaps the greatest lesson I’ve ever learned is that I can be joyful in all things.

So tonight, as look across the landscape of my life, I must acknowledge that not everything is good, not everything is perfect, and some things simply are not going to work out the way I would have wanted them to. However, even in the face of disappointments and difficulties, I’m reminded of the promise that He makes all things beautiful in his own time. Faced with that truth, the least I can do is turn my heart towards heaven and recognize the goodness of God in my life. According to Solomon, the best that I can do, in the highs and lows of this life, is to be joyful and to do good. The best that I can do is to mingle a measure of joy with my sorrow, mix some gladness with my heartaches, and merge a little praise with my multitude of pains.

Somewhere in the midst of all the mysteries of this life there awaits the simple understanding that, in time, God makes all things beautiful. With that truth in mind, I have determined to do the best that I can do…

No comments:

Post a Comment